Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I saw Chef Tyler Florence make this on the View today and I think it's such a great idea to enjoy red velvet cake without all the red dye!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, to grease baking pans
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped red beets
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 3 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Begin by lightly greasing tins with butter (oven proof ramekins or cocotte dishes work well). Peel beets and cut into pieces so they can fit comfortably in a food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, mix molasses, eggs, buttermilk, oil and sugar together. Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and then fold in the processed beets.
- Place cake tins on a roasting tray. Divide batter amongst tins and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until they have puffed up and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then frost with cream cheese frosting, layering the cakes on top of each other.
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:.
- Using a kitchen mixer, combine cream cheese and butter until blended and you have a smooth, light texture. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and powdered sugar and beat until combined. Continue to beat until smooth and glossy – about 7 minutes.
Sister in law made this cake- it was yummy but very moist nearly dense! I'd eat it again! Better than food dye!