I don't know if Tyler Florence would approve of the use of a bread machine to knead his pita bread recipe. I think it works wonderfully. Fresh pita bread is like a loaf of homemade bread. The flavor, texture and fragrance can't be compared with the store bought variety. I think this goes well with Paula Wolfert's Hummus which I also submitted to RecipeZaar. This recipe uses a Pizza Stone but I think you might possibly use a hot cookie sheet with good results. Prep time is bread machine time.
- Combine ingredients in a bread machine. Set for a 2 pound dough cycle.
- Toward the end of the dough cycle place the pizza stone on the lowest oven rack and pre-heat it to 500 degrees.
- When the dough is ready punch it down and divide it into 8 balls, keeping it all lightly floured and covered.
- Rest the covered balls for 15 minutes.
- Roll each ball into an eight inch circle, one quarter inch thick, making sure circles are totally smooth, with no creases or seams. Do not stack the disks but keep them covered.
- Put 2 pitas on the hot stone and bake them 4-5 minutes, until they're puffed and a pale golden color. WATCH CLOSELY. They cook really quickly.
- Cool on rack 5 minutes. They will naturally deflate, leaving a pocket.
- Wrap them in a kitchen towel to keep them soft.