1/5 Photos of Tye-Dye Cake
3 hrs 30 mins
I found this in a magazine--and it looks like a really fun cake, with all different colors and flavors! This would be perfect for kids' parties or "artsy" themed parties. *Prep time includes cooling time.*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 drops red food coloring
- 20 drops blue food coloring
- 20 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/8 teaspoon strawberry extract or 1/8 teaspoon raspberry extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract or 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vanilla frosting or 2 (16 ounce) cans lemon frosting
- colored sugar sprinkle or candy sprinkles or small decorative candies, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F; grease 2 9" round cake pans or line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- 2Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cake mix, 1 1/2 cups water, the egg whites, and oil for 30 seconds.
- 3Increase the mixer speed to high speed; beat for 2 minutes; divide the batter into 4 bowls.
- 4Stir the red food coloring and cherry extract into one bowl, the yellow food coloring and almond extract into another bowl, and the blue food coloring into the third bowl.
- 5Alternately spoon the tinted and white batters evenly into the prepared pans; lightly swirl the batters together with a spoon to create a gentle marbled effect.
- 6Do not over-swirl or the colors will become muddy.
- 7Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick tests out clean.
- 8Cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert and cool completely on wire racks.
- 9Place 1 cake layer on a serving dish; spread with 1 cup of the frosting.
- 10Top with remaining cake layer; coat top and sides of cake with the remaining frosting.
- 11Decorate with colored sugar, sprinkles, or candy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tye-Dye Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.6
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 442.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 71.5 g
- Protein 2.8 g