- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (optional)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In large dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Add ground beef and cook till no longer pink.
- Add 1/4 cup water and other ingredients and simmer one hour or more covered, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with choice of grated cheese, chopped green onion and serve with soda or oyster crackers or corn bread.
- In Texas, we leave out the beans.
- Midwesteners may add spaghetti or rice (no kidding).