- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons diced sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add water and next 7 ingredients (water through canned tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add barley; cover and cook 10 minutes or until barley is tender.