- 2 large green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 slices pepperidge farm very thin whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Set Provolone and Parmesan cheeses aside and reserve for later.
- In an 8x8 inch square baking dish, make alternate layers of red and green tomatoes with onion, garlic slices, basil, and toasted rectangles of bread, and placing shredded mozzarella on the first layer.
- Drizzle each layer with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover dish and place Provolone and Parmesan cheeses on top.
- Return to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes more or until cheese is golden.