Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
A recipe from my secret stash I'd like to share with the existing chocolate lover lurking here! These are super rich and loaded with fantastic calories! They make a very special gift or snack when you need comfort or are surrounded by loving friends and family. Enjoy!
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate chips (use 1/2 pound semisweet and 1/2 pound milk chocolate chips or chocolate, chunks*) or 1 lb semisweet chocolate chunk (use 1/2 pound semisweet and 1/2 pound milk chocolate chips or chocolate, chunks*)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt the first pound of semisweet chocolate with the butter, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour a 13x9" baking pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Gradually beat in the sugar until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Beat in the melted chocolate, vanilla, and dissolved coffee.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the chocolate mixture just until combined; do not overmix.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. The bars will be shiny on top, and a toothpick will test almost done.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack; cut into bars. (These are very gooey when warm, but supremely delightful!).