1/2 Photos of Two-Potato Soup With Broccoli
I was hunting through my fridge one day and these ingredients where what I had on hand. I love this soup because the sweet potato gives just enough sweetness and a velvety texture. It's perfect on a cold day with some crusty bread and a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large vidalia onion, medium dice
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large orange bell pepper, small dice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups roasted vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk (anywhere between whole and 1%)
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- diced spring onion
- 1Melt the butter in a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper until the onion softens. Add the flour and incorporate until it becomes rouxish. Add a bit more butter if need be.
- 2When you have a roux add the stock, milk, and both kinds of potatoes. Bring the liquid to a boil and then lower the heat to a healthy simmer. Cook until the potatoes start to break apart and thicken the liquid (about 20 min).
- 3When the potatoes have started to break down add salt and pepper to taste and toss in two handfuls of broccoli florets and let them cook until bright green and barely tender.
- 4Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for just a few minutes. Then transfer in batches to blender and blend until smooth. Leave the last batch in the pot for a slightly chunkier texture.
- 5Add the pureed soup back to the pot and turn the heat back on.
- 6Add the final handful of florets to the finished soup and cook until bright green and just tender. Add the chopped fresh parsley.
- 7Ladle the soup into soup plates or deep bowls and serve with the cheddar and green onions sprinkled over the top and a grind of fresh black pepper.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Two-Potato Soup With Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.0
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 114.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: