Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make moussaka with eggplant, but my husband tells me this is his favorite. I cut the recipe out of a magazine about 15 years ago.
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 1 lb yams or 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook red skinned potatoes in microwave for 5-7 minutes.
- Cook yams in microwave for 7-9 minutes.
- In medium skillet, brown beef for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon, and cumin; Simmer 3 minutes.
- Combine milk, flour, butter, and nutmeg in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolk.
- Thinly slice potatoes.
- Place half of potatoes and yams on bottom of 2 quart casserole.
- Layer meat mixture, then remaining potatoes and yams.
- Pour sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Perfect. I added a layer of zucchini and carrot near the bottom and a layer of eggplant near the top as well.
Fantastic! the only change I made was I sauteed an onion and garlic in with the ground beef and I added in some Parmesan cheese also, this will be a repeater! thanks Kel!...Kitten:)