Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe uses both red skin potatoes and sweet potatoes with creamy mascarpone cheese, for a contrast of salty and sweet flavors. It is then topped with a combination of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced (white and light green parts)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon green onion, sliced thin (darker green part)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mascarpone cheese with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange half the red potato slices in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish or similar sized casserole; top with half the sweet potatoes.
- Spread half the mascarpone on top; repeat layers.
- Wrap tightly with aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and minced green onion (white and light green parts).
- Stir in melted butter and sprinkle over baked potatoes and return to oven, uncovered, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with dark green onion slices and let stand 10 minutes before serving.