Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe uses both red skin potatoes and sweet potatoes with creamy mascarpone cheese, for a contrast of salty and sweet flavors. It is then topped with a combination of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced (white and light green parts)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon green onion, sliced thin (darker green part)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mascarpone cheese with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange half the red potato slices in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish or similar sized casserole; top with half the sweet potatoes.
- Spread half the mascarpone on top; repeat layers.
- Wrap tightly with aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and minced green onion (white and light green parts).
- Stir in melted butter and sprinkle over baked potatoes and return to oven, uncovered, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with dark green onion slices and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Tried this for Christmas with Prime Rib Roast and WOW! This one goes into my recipe box for sure - it's just sweet enough and creamy and incredible - replacing plain mashed potatos forever! My husband is now a mascarpone fan forever! Thank you for this - I'm going to send to my two sisters now for them to try. - Lori, Colorado Springs, CO