Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish came from the Oprah Magazine Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch dried ancho chile powder
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a shallow 2-quart gratin pan or ceramic baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, salt, pepper, chili powder, and nutmeg.
- Heat to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add potatoes and return to boil, simmering a few minutes, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in mustard.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer half the potatoes to gratin dish; place in an even layer, Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of Gruyere.
- Top with remaining potatoes; pour milk mixture over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere. Bake 40 minutes until potatoes are tender and the top is golden.