Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "The Big Book of Casseroles", a flavorful and colorful dish of sweet and white potatoes, in broth seasoned with caraway seeds. Food processor makes slicing easier. A great Fall-Winter side for any meal. Embarrassingly simple !
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch slicesC
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes, onions, parsley, and seasonings in 2 1/2 quart casserole lightly coated with cooking spray or oil.
- Mix well.
- Pour broth over all.
- Dot top with butter.
- Cover and bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
Caraway seeds are my favourite and they were lovely in this potato bake. I also sprinkled a tiny bit of cayenne over the top too. Really nice with our roast pork, thank you.
Terrific! This is a perfect substitute for fattening scalloped potatoes. This has loads of flavor without being high in fat. I made this exactly as written. The potatoes were perfectly moist and tender. I love caraway seeds, but if you are making this for those who don't like them, I'd just use some fresh thyme instead. Thanx for sharing this recipe!
This was a suprising little recipe-quick to make, it tasted great and the vegies had a lovely "creamy" texture. I added in a clove of garlic, some thyme and sage as I have heaps growing, and cooked for it over 1 1/2 hours. Russ and I both loved it and he reckons we should have it again soon. Thanks for posting.