Recipe by wife2abadge
From Taste of Home, this pizza has a thick, bready crust that's delicious.
Top Review by ajean
So glad I found this on here! I've had it written down for quite some time after seeing it in TOH and I lost it. I use this crust recipe for every pizza I make. I've also used it for calzones. It bakes beautifully and tastes amazing!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in water and add oil.
- Combine whole wheat flour, sugar, and salt; add to yeast mixture and stir until smooth.
- Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down.
- Pat dough into bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a greased 14-inch pizza pan.
- Combine pizza sauce and sugar; spread over crust.
- Sprinkle with mushrooms, onion, and olives.
- Layer with sausage, Canadian bacon, and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.