Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Extra- delicious Two layered Birthday Cake.... Taken from: http://totallyfreerecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/two-layered-birthday-cake.html
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 170 g butter or 170 g margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- chocolate fudge frosting
- chocolate, to sprinkle
- Heat oven to 350 f. grease bottom and sides of two 9-inch round pans with butter.
- In a large bowl beat all ingredients except frosting and strawberries with electric mixer.
- Bake pans for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cover first cake with frosting then add some sliced strawberries, cover the bottom of the second cake with frosting and place on top of the first cake. Then cover both cakes completely with frosting, grate chocolate on top and add strawberries for decoration.
WOW!!! I can't thank u enough for posting this recipe. I baked this for my husband's b-day just recently & he simply loved it. A lot of choc cake recipes I was finding start w/ a boxed mix & I wanted to do a cake from scratch :-) The addition of strawberries was also a request from my hubby, so this recipe was such the perfect find!!! I don't make a lot of cakes & this recipe didn't disappoint. The cake halves baked for 30 min & removing them from the pan was a bit tricky--I was shown a trick where I put the wire rack over the cakes, then flipped the rack :-). I used a store bought frosting--someday I'll try homemade! Thanks so much for this recipe! FYI--170 g of butter is 3/4 cup!