Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have a good friend that loves Key Lime Pie. I saw this in the current issue of "Bon Appetit" and immediately baked one up for her. She was not dissapointed. She said this version was one of the best she's ever tasted! I agree.
- 3⁄4 cup granola cereal (without raisins or other dried fruit)
- 3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs (from 6 whole graham crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using on/off turns, blend granola in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Transfer granola into a mixing bowl.
- Add cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch diameter deep dish glass pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Turn the oven down to 300.
- Meanwhile, whisk condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks in a bowl to blend.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until the mixture is set.
- Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over the cooled baked layer.
- With a butter knife, spread evenly and smooth out the top.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.
Have been on a key lime pie fix lately and have added this wonderful recipe to my "winner" group. Used a premade graham cracker crust (time/lack of ingredients). The 2 layers were indeed yummy and made this pie more complex than a regular key lime pie. I used Nellie's bottled key lime juice and that always works just as good as fresh squeezed, I think. And I'm a South Florida gal! This pie has a good slight tartness, but it certainly is not over-the-top tart at all. (1/2 cup of key lime juice is the norm, though some do call for 2/3 cup) I added a final layer of slightly sweetened whipped cream. Served for company and they enjoyed it, too. BTW I baked the first layer at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes which is plenty of baking time for a key lime pie. Used a deep dish typed of graham cracker crust. The size is slightly larger than the regular ones. I think it's called "2 extra servings" size. Works well with this pie because of the added 2nd layer and whipped cream topping. Super fast and easy to make, especially if using bottled key lime juice. Note: do not use regular bottled lime juice- not the same at all. Great recipe!!
I made this pie yesterday and it turned out beautifully! I made it with a pre-bought graham cracker pie crust, but it was still SO WONDERFUL!!! My husband is raving about it! I tend to mess up when baking, but this seemed mess up proof. I already have requests from him to make it again. Thanks so much for this recipe, deffinatly a keeper!
Yummy pie-we chose it to use up some leftover granola cereal. We used a spring form pan as mentioned in another review and it turned out wonderful. Just the right balance of sweet and tart. The kids loved the layers. Thank you!