I have a good friend that loves Key Lime Pie. I saw this in the current issue of "Bon Appetit" and immediately baked one up for her. She was not dissapointed. She said this version was one of the best she's ever tasted! I agree.
- 3⁄4 cup granola cereal (without raisins or other dried fruit)
- 3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs (from 6 whole graham crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using on/off turns, blend granola in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Transfer granola into a mixing bowl.
- Add cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch diameter deep dish glass pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Turn the oven down to 300.
- Meanwhile, whisk condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks in a bowl to blend.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until the mixture is set.
- Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over the cooled baked layer.
- With a butter knife, spread evenly and smooth out the top.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.