Recipe by Annacia
This is a perfect spring soup that takes advantage of the asparagus crop. It's on the healthy side which is a plus. Dairy free, quick and easy, a delicious vegetarian soup that will serve as a light meal or a soup course when you have guests. Be careful not to overcook the veggies, or that fresh appealing bright green color becomes a sludgy pea soup green. If asparagus is out of season or too pricey try using broccoli in it's place. This can be served hot or chilled.
Top Review by Rita~
Nothing like a hot steamy bowl of soup. I must say I skipped the asparagus used lots of spinach and some mushrooms. This came out so silky and rich. I kicked it up with some pepper flakes. Thanks
- 1 lb bunch asparagus
- 1 lb bunch fresh spinach
- 3 cups veggie soup stock (or water)
- 1 unsalted vegan bouillon cube (reduce salt if using a salted bouillon cube)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk (or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley, cilantro (optional) or 1⁄2 cup basil (optional)
- fresh salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash asparagus, cut off and discard the tough bottom stems (about 1/3 of the stalk), and chop the rest into 2 inch pieces.
- Wash and rough-chop the spinach.
- Heat olive oil on medium in a small pan.
- Add flour, stir and cook 5 minutes or until crumbly.
- Add the soy or almond milk and cashew butter. Whisk together and cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring the stock to a boil with the bouillon cube.
- Simmer the asparagus for 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Add nutmeg & spinach, and simmer just until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in cream sauce and heat another two minutes.
- Blend with a blender stick until smooth, or process in 2 batches in a regular blender.
- Add the optional chopped fresh herb and continue to blend for a minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and heat on medium low for 5 minutes - DON'T BOIL!