1/1 Photo of Two Green Soup
This is a perfect spring soup that takes advantage of the asparagus crop. It's on the healthy side which is a plus. Dairy free, quick and easy, a delicious vegetarian soup that will serve as a light meal or a soup course when you have guests. Be careful not to overcook the veggies, or that fresh appealing bright green color becomes a sludgy pea soup green. If asparagus is out of season or too pricey try using broccoli in it's place. This can be served hot or chilled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bunch asparagus
- 1 lb bunch fresh spinach
- 3 cups veggie soup stock (or water)
- 1 unsalted vegan bouillon cube (reduce salt if using a salted bouillon cube)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk (or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, cilantro (optional) or 1/2 cup basil (optional)
- fresh salt and pepper
- 1Wash asparagus, cut off and discard the tough bottom stems (about 1/3 of the stalk), and chop the rest into 2 inch pieces.
- 2Wash and rough-chop the spinach.
- 3Heat olive oil on medium in a small pan.
- 4Add flour, stir and cook 5 minutes or until crumbly.
- 5Add the soy or almond milk and cashew butter. Whisk together and cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Bring the stock to a boil with the bouillon cube.
- 8Simmer the asparagus for 5 minutes or until just tender.
- 9Add nutmeg & spinach, and simmer just until spinach is wilted.
- 10Stir in cream sauce and heat another two minutes.
- 11Blend with a blender stick until smooth, or process in 2 batches in a regular blender.
- 12Add the optional chopped fresh herb and continue to blend for a minute.
- 13Add salt and pepper to taste and heat on medium low for 5 minutes - DON'T BOIL!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Two Green Soup
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.1
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 213.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smooth cashew butter