Recipe by Happy Harry #2
Always trying to eat more healthy grains. Well, I like lentils, but I LOVE quinoa! So here is my try at combining them together. I had a large jar of toasted quinoa that I figured was ready to be used up.....so here is something that I put together to stuff some big beef tomatoes that I had. I think this would be great in pita bread also. Maybe some blanched yellow peppers? I have put the servings as if you would stuff four beef tomatoes, so how many servings will depend on how you use it. BTW, leaving out the pine nuts will bring down the fat content greatly. You can try 1/2 cup toasted almonds in its place.
- 1 medium red onions or 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and toasted
- 1 cup lentils, cooked (I used leftover red lentils)
- 6 mushrooms, cleaned and coarse chopped
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 3 cups vegetable broth (I use homemade)
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 bunch Baby Spinach, washed and chopped
- fresh ground pepper (optional)
- sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the inside of a large pot with cooking spray. Use generously.
- Heat pot over medium heat. Add onions to pot and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mustard seeds. Stir while seeds heat.
- When seeds begin to make popping sounds, add the grains and mushrooms. Stir.
- Add vegetable broth and 1//2 water.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and taste for texture. If too dry, add the 2nd half of water, cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for five minutes.
- Fold in spinach and pine nuts, if using. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Allow to stand covered about 5 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Fluff. It's now ready to use as suggested -- or -- use as you wish!
- Mainly -- enjoy!