Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
They're not really "leftovers" when you PLAN them on purpose, so don't call them leftovers!
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 5 chicken thighs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) package pasta, cooked & drained, warm (bowties, spirals, fettucini, whatever)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 small zucchini, 1/2-inch chunks (partially peeled, leave stripes)
- 2 cups broccoli stems, & flowerettes bite-size chunks
- FIRST MEAL.
- Marinate meats with soy sauce for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken to a 13x9 pan.
- Pour soy sauce from pan, dressing and mustard into a small bowl, stir until smooth; pour over chicken in pan.
- Put chicken into cold oven, bake at 350 for about 1 hour (juices run clear).
- When cooked to perfection, set aside three or four pieces of meat for the second meal.
- Eat the rest of the chicken, save any "leftover" sauce or chicken for the second meal.
- SECOND MEAL.
- While the chicken from the first meal is still warm, pick meat from bones in bite-size chunks; set aside.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain, rinse & keep warm; set aside.
- In a hot pan, melt butter, then saute prepared veggies until tender-crisp (NOT droopy--the broccoli should be bright green).
- Add reserved soy sauce mixture from First Meal, chicken chunks and prepared pasta.
- Heat through, toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- CHEF'S NOTE: I use 10 pieces of chicken for my family size. Add or subtract according to your family-size needs. The amount of sauce is gauged to 10 servings, so adjust accordingly.
How great! It's perfect for those on a lower budget or those with limited time for cooking. I found it perfect because I usually batch-cook and then freeze - a much healthier option than ready meals. Thanks!