Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of Rachel Ray's yummy 30 minute meals. Orginal can be found at www.rachaelraymag.com
Make and share this Two-Color Ziti Fake-Bake recipe from Food.com.
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 lb ziti rigate whole wheat ziti or 3⁄4 lb any other short-cut pasta
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cavolo nero, stemmed and very thinly sliced (also called tuscan kale, dinosaur kale or lacinato kale)
- nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian tomatoes in puree
- fresh basil, torn, to taste
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to taste
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain, reserving about 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat about 1½ tablespoons EVOO, 1 1/2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat.
- Stir in 2 cloves garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the kale to wilt to crisp-tender, a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg.
- Transfer to a plate and reserve the skillet.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Place the ricotta cheese in the bottom of a casserole.
- Place the reserved skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cloves garlic for 1 minute, then add the onion and stir for 2 minutes.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree the tomatoes. Add them to the garlic and onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the basil to wilt.
- Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the pasta, reserved cooking water and the kale to the ricotta in the casserole; season with salt and pepper.
- Top with two-thirds of the tomato sauce, a thin layer of parmigiano-reggiano and the mozzarella.
- Broil for a few minutes to brown the cheeses.
- Pass the remaining sauce and parmigiano-reggiano at the table for topping.