Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
from southern living
- 4 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.