Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Make this with yellow squash, zucchini, or a combination of both. Great late summer side dish.
- 4 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8-10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well and gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat, stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter. Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until set.
This is really good. Well beyond good. I used frozen squash I grew in my garden last year. It turned out nicely. I also submitted this recipe with a few minor changes to a local cookbook contest and took 3 place with it. I was about to post the recipe when I saw you had it already here. Thanks for posting. It's a keeper in our house.