Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Oh my my! This potato recipe is To Die For!! Took these to a holiday party & people went nuts!! Even my "loyal only to mashed potatoes" husband thought they were outstanding! A perfect combo of cheeses makes this very sinful, but oh so worth it!!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick (approx. 3 lbs)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In sauce pan melt butter.
- Stir in flour & whisk until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low & cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Stir in mustard & salt.
- Coat a 9x13 casserole with cooking spray. Place 1/2 potatoes in pan slightly overlapping.
- Top with 1/2 of the sauce & 1/2 of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake approximately 50-55 minutes or until golden & bubbly.
- Let stand out of oven for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This was superb.Very yummy.I only had cheddar cheese but I am sure the gruyere would be wonderful too. Very rich so I served it with ground turkey cooked with veg and onion-a sort of take on shepherds pie I suppose.
This was really very good. Next time I think that I will add sauteed or french fried onions to the layers to give it a little something more. I found it a little bland but everyone else LOVED it. Thanx for the recipe.
WOW! This was outstanding!!!! made for PAC Fall O7, I was trying to get it made before the cut-off deadline. I had a very heavy birthday week, and didn't have time to 'practice' it, so ended up making for the Sunday birthday party, 40 guest 'guinea-pigs'! I still can't tell you how it tastes, because it was polished off before I got to try it! I am handing the recipe out to several of the guests, who raved about it, so I think we can be sure it was a great success! It was very straightforward and easy to make, in fact my daughter did most of the preparation, and it came out of the oven golden-bubbly brown and smelling divine! Thanks Meredith, you brought me a lot of compliments, and now I can't wait to make it again so that I can actually have some myself :-)