Recipe by Meredith .F
Oh my my! This potato recipe is To Die For!! Took these to a holiday party & people went nuts!! Even my "loyal only to mashed potatoes" husband thought they were outstanding! A perfect combo of cheeses makes this very sinful, but oh so worth it!!!
Top Review by cardamomstars
This was superb.Very yummy.I only had cheddar cheese but I am sure the gruyere would be wonderful too. Very rich so I served it with ground turkey cooked with veg and onion-a sort of take on shepherds pie I suppose.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick (approx. 3 lbs)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In sauce pan melt butter.
- Stir in flour & whisk until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low & cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Stir in mustard & salt.
- Coat a 9x13 casserole with cooking spray. Place 1/2 potatoes in pan slightly overlapping.
- Top with 1/2 of the sauce & 1/2 of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake approximately 50-55 minutes or until golden & bubbly.
- Let stand out of oven for 5-10 minutes before serving.