Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This kid-friendly casserole can be frozen in packages for a quick lunch. Wrap a square first in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze.
- 12 ounces penne
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded light cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a 9-by-11- inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- One minute before it is cooked through, add the broccoli.
- Finish cooking and drain.
- Toss pasta and broccoli with tomatoes, then cheeses.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Cover loosely with foil, and place in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Let casserole stand for 5 minutes.
once a week, i have to prepare several meals for my DH to take on the road with him. i changed quite a bit in this recipe and it turned out well. mostly, i used it as a guide to use up leftovers. for the cheese, i used about 8 slices of white american processed, half a cup of mexican mix shredded, and half a cup of sharp cheddar, plus the parmesan. for the veggies, i used half a bag of frozen peas, and half a bag of frozen corn. topped it off with remainder of bag of french fried onions. viola!... a perfect mesh of flavors to satisfy the DH.
I was unimpressed with this dish. The flavors didn't blend as well as I had hoped. It just tasted like something was missing.
Followed the instructions to a tee, but I just was not crazy about the texture of the whole dish. Great potential though. I would like to make a cream cheese sauce for it if I try it again.