Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Quite a tasty pasta dish! To make this into a main meal add in some cooked diced chicken or turkey. The sauce can be made days ahead and just rewarmed. When I made this last I added in the sliced green olives right into the casserole instead of on top, but that is optional.
- 5 -7 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushroom, sliced (can use more)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb penne pasta (uncooked)
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced (you can use more, or use black sliced olives)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and saute until they release there moisture and they are lightly browned (this might take about 10-12 minutes).
- Add in the onions, garlic, dried basil and dried chili flakes; saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the drained plum tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon; reduce heat and simmer UNCOVERED until the sauce is thickened and chunky (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- At this point you can refrigerate the sauce up to 2 days.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST firm-tender (do not overcook the pasta leave firm!) drain very well (do not rinse the pasta) then return the pasta to the same pot and toss with 3-4 tablespoons oil.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta in the pot; toss to combine.
- Add in both the Swiss and mozzeralla cheeses; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish, then sprinkle with the olives, & the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
This turned out so delicious! My DH has eaten it two days in a row, which is unusual for him! I halved the recipe and I think it's still about 6 servings. I didn't have mozzarella, so used cheddar. I didn't have the full amount of canned tomatoes, so used some spagetti sauce to fill in and it worked out great! Thank you so much Kitten!
You were right Kittencal! Quite a tasty pasta dish!! Real comfort food with a kick!! Loved it! Used black olives and rotinis instead of penne (as I was out of penne!). Thanks Kittencal! Will make it again for sure!!