Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Bring back memories of grandma's hearty meals with this cheesy mashed potato casserole. Pairs beautifully with ham, chicken, or turkey. Havarti cheese can usually be found in the deli (with the Goudas and Feta) section of almost any grocery store and is well worth using. The smoky flavor can not be beat.
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup havarti cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole. Place potatoes in 4-quart Dutch oven; add enough water (salted if desired) to cover. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Shake potatoes in Dutch oven over low heat to dry.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes until no lumps remain. Add milk in small amounts, beating after each addition (amount of milk needed to make potatoes smooth and fluffy depends on kind of potatoes used).
- Add sour cream, margarine, rosemary and salt. Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy. Stir in Havarti cheese. Spoon into casserole. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with parsley.
- To make ahead of time, cover unbaked mashed potato mixture tightly with foil and refrigerate no longer than 24 hours. Uncover and bake 40 to 50 minutes.
- This recipe is great to double for those hearty appetites! Cook the potatoes in Dutch oven. Use 3-quart casserole and bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes. If you make it ahead and refrigerate, bake 40 to 50 minutes.