Recipe by London Linda
This is my uncle Gordie's recipe. He was a baker and loved this on his toast. It has a simple list of ingredients, cooks up quickly and makes a manageable size. It is supposed to last quite a while in the fridge but that's never been tested since we eat it up quickly.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, well drained
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, of any color seeds and rind removed, chopped
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn all ingredients into heavy pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, then simmer, stirring often, for one hour or until it is reduced and is a consistency that you like. If it is too watery, your toast will get soggy.
- Let it cool and put into Tupperware or Zip-lock bowls.
- For a sugar free low carb version, replace the sugar with Equal or Splenda. You need to hold back the artificial sweetener and add it only after the chili sauce has cooked and cooled otherwise it may become bitter.