Recipe by ellie_
We really enjoyed this mild chili. If following the WW flex plan this comes to about 5 points/serving. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
Top Review by Hey Jude
My family loved this recipe and I can report that it freezes and reheats wonderfully. I used chicken instead of turkey, simply because I had a whole bag of chicken tenderloins in my freezers. The lime and cumin are a 'must' as those ingredients really made the flavors 'pop. Thanks for the recipe Ellie, it's a keeper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (the original recipe calls for 2 onions)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (the orignal recipe called for celery stalks, diced)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb turkey breast tenderloin, cut into cubes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium heat heat oil for about 30 seconds or so.
- Add onions to skillet (if using celery stalks add the celery too), cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook stirring for another minute.
- Stir in oregano, celery seed, pepper, zest of the lime and cumin, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in cornmeal .
- Stir in chicken broth and cook until mixture boils (1 minute or so).
- Stir in tomatoes (with juice). Transfer mixture to crock pot.
- Stir in turkey, pinto beans and green beans. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Combine chili powder and lime juice in a cup and add to crockpot along with bell peppers, green chilies and jalapeno. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.