Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This hearty vegetarian soup warms up chilly nights. Use any type of canned beans you happen to have on hand, and add rotisserie chicken or Italian sausage for a heftier dish, if you prefer
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth, divided (such as Emeril's)
- 2 (15 ounce) cansno-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 7 cups stemmed chopped kale or 1 bunch kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth and kale. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until kale is crisp-tender.
- Place half of cannellini beans and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture, remaining cannellini beans, black beans, and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and rosemary.