Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A vegetarian version of sloppy joes. This could also be vegan with some minor tweaking. From Woman's Day (April 1, 2005)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Bring all ingredients except rolls to boil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Spoon bean mixture onto roll bottoms; replace tops.
This was wonderful! My husband likes his peppers more tender, so I think I would simmer it a little longer next time, but the flavor was awsome! The leftover was great by itself for lunches, too.