Recipe by Vino Girl
A vegetarian version of sloppy joes. This could also be vegan with some minor tweaking. From Woman's Day (April 1, 2005)
Top Review by Betani
This was wonderful! My husband likes his peppers more tender, so I think I would simmer it a little longer next time, but the flavor was awsome! The leftover was great by itself for lunches, too.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juice, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 hamburger buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring all ingredients except rolls to boil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Spoon bean mixture onto roll bottoms; replace tops.