Recipe by Amber Dawn
I found this recipe when searching for Grass Fed Beef Recipes. www.brooklynfarmhouse.com Here's some of their tips: The masa thickens the chili and adds an extra bit of savory depth of flavor. You can easily omit if you don’t happen to have masa on hand. (Don’t be tempted to use cornmeal. It won’t work.) You can vary the consistency to your taste by omitting the water or adding an extra bit of masa harina (to make it thicker). Add a little more water, or omit a tablespoon or two of masa if you like it a little soupier.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (ribs and seeds removed, if you don't like spicy)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 7 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 lb ground beef, grass-fed
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional, see above)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons dried masa harina, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- sour cream or yogurt
- shredded cheese
- chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy pot, add the olive oil, onions, red bell pepper, and jalapeno over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until vegetables are soft, 6-7 minutes (do not brown).
- Add the garlic and stir one minute.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and coriander, and stir one minute.
- Add the ground beef, a good pinch of salt, and couple of grinds of black pepper. Break up the beef with a fork and continue cooking until the beef has lost most of its raw, red color.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and optional water, and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add the kidney and the pinto beans. Simmer the chili for another 20 minutes. Taste and correct for salt.
- Stir in the masa dissolved in water and bring back to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with any or all garnishes listed above.