Recipe by Reddyrat
This is a great slow-cooker recipe I found in a magazine. It's from a chef at the Moosewood restaurant. It's quite easy and very tasty!
Top Review by falafel
This is the best veggie chili I've ever had! I'm not a fan of spicy food, so I left out the jalapeno, and I was out of carrots, but didn't miss it. Otherwise, I made it as written. Delicious, nutritious, and easy. Can't beat that!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or cooking spray)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (seeds removed, if desired, I've left it out before)
- 2 cups bell peppers, cubed (red or green)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 15 1⁄2 ounces can black beans, with liquid
- 15 1⁄2 ounces can red kidney beans, with liquid
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, jalepeno, peppers, celery, salt, cumin, and oregano. Cook, stirring often until vegetables soften (8-10 min).
- Transfer satueed vegetables to a slow cooker, add carrots, tomatoes and liquid, barbecue sauce, water, and beans, and liquid.
- Cover; set on low; cook 8 to 10 hours.