Recipe by smellyvegetarian
Yes, yet another vegetarian chili recipe. The beauty of this one is it is REALLY yummy, has a decent amount of protein, and only simmers 25-30 minutes! It is definitely a favorite in our house, especially with cornbread. From Best Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
I must say this chili is so easy and so good that it is now going to be my go-to chili recipe! I used 2 tablespoons chili powder and found it was quite spicy. (Next time I'll just use one and put some hot sauce on the table for the others.) I sauted the onions and peppers before adding them, and deglazed the pan with a splash of red wine. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I might use diced tomatoes next time because I like them chunky. But as posted it is so good and so healthy!
- 236.59 ml textured vegetable protein
- 208.19 ml vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 411.06 g can tomatoes, crushed
- 453.59 g can tomato sauce
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 425.24 g can pinto beans, drained
- 29.58-44.37 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Place the TVP and broth in a 3-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- 2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the TVP mixture and stir to mix. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.