Yes, yet another vegetarian chili recipe. The beauty of this one is it is REALLY yummy, has a decent amount of protein, and only simmers 25-30 minutes! It is definitely a favorite in our house, especially with cornbread. From Best Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 7⁄8 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. Place the TVP and broth in a 3-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- 2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the TVP mixture and stir to mix. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
I must say this chili is so easy and so good that it is now going to be my go-to chili recipe! I used 2 tablespoons chili powder and found it was quite spicy. (Next time I'll just use one and put some hot sauce on the table for the others.) I sauted the onions and peppers before adding them, and deglazed the pan with a splash of red wine. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I might use diced tomatoes next time because I like them chunky. But as posted it is so good and so healthy!
I like trying new meatless recipes, especially when I can fool my family! I used a ground beef substitute instead of TVP and found this to be a good chili. I would have liked a bit more flavors so next time, I think I will add some of the spices mentioned below. I did also add a can of black beans for color. I will make this again. Thank you!
Very managable recipe, but we prefer a little more protein so I added a can of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes. We also like a little more heat so I added a palmful of cinnamon, allspice and sugar. Oh, and don't forget some shredded cheese and sour cream for an extra touch.