Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wonderful on a cold night served with French bread. This is one of my favourite chili recipes.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, removed from casing
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- In Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef, onions, green peppers and garlic about 20 minutes.
- Drain off fat!
- Stir in flour, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and salt; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes; break up with a fork.
- Stir in worcesteshire sauce and tobasco.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, adding water if necessary; stir occasionally.
- Stir in chick peas and kidney beans.
- Cook until heated through.
I make this chili quite often, and have made for company. All have liked it very much. mollywally