Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from a Taste of Home publication awhile back - I previously had a favorite chili recipe that I loved and always used, but when I saw this recipe included refried beans (which I absolutely love), I had to try this! Now I have 2 favorite chili recipes (after making a few changes of my own). This particular recipe makes a large batch and it freezes GREAT.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 (1360.77 g) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1304.07 g can tomato juice
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 473.18 ml refried beans
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on stove, uncovered, for 2-3 hours.
My kids and DH all loved this. I got it several hours later, after he had put noodles in (!) and they soaked up almost all the sauce! So I don't have a true taste of it. I didn't add kidney beans (DH hates them) and used V-8 juice and a few shakes of Louisiana hot sauce. Also reduced the chili powder to 2 T and used ground turkey. What I tasted seemed like it needed something, but may have been affected by the noodles (or the 1 T less of powder.)