I got this recipe from a Taste of Home publication awhile back - I previously had a favorite chili recipe that I loved and always used, but when I saw this recipe included refried beans (which I absolutely love), I had to try this! Now I have 2 favorite chili recipes (after making a few changes of my own). This particular recipe makes a large batch and it freezes GREAT.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on stove, uncovered, for 2-3 hours.