Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- chopped seeded tomatoes
- snipped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken thighs in hot oil over med-low heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet; reserve drippings in skillet.
- Add carrots, onion, and garlic to skillet; cover and cook about 10 minutes or just until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in drained beans, tomato sauce, wine, thyme, and allspice; stir in sausage.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Place chicken on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- If desired, sprinkle tomatoes and parsley over the top.
- Bake about 5 more minutes or just until the tomatoes are heated through.
Made this on a cold night, and it was the perfect warming comfort food. All of the different colors and flavors worked well together. The only change I made was to used bone-in chicken thighs, so I just baked it a little longer to compensate.
this was a success in our house made a few changes only because I didn't have all the ingredients. Substituted tomato sauce for a tin of chopped tomatoes ,turkey sausage for mild salami and only had a tinned 4bean mix and chickpeas so used them instead.Taste was terriffic and had plenty of sauce to mop up with some yummy crusty bread.