Made from ingredients you likely already have on hand, it's super-quick and healthy. If you buy parmiggiano reggiano - NEVER throw out the rind. Stick it in your freezer and add to stews or soups for an easy flavour boost without adding many calories. I pulled this from a local paper a couple of years ago and have left it on the side of my fridge for frequent reference! The cheese rind is my addition - you could also start the stew with diced bacon if you felt like it. Because of the pasta, I find I have to add some water or chicken stock when heating leftovers to thin it out a tiny bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can pinto beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 rind parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta or 1/2 cup any small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- 3Add garlic during the last minute or so.
- 4Add the tomatoes with their juice, the beans (rinsed and drained), the stock, cheese rind, dried herbs and pepper.
- 5Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Add pasta, return to a boil, then reduce the heat again and simmer until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- 7Serve garnished with parmesan (and parsley, if you feel like it).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Two Bean and Tomato Stew With Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.2
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 1100.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: