Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My sister, who's a vegetarian, gave this recipe to me. It was originally 3 bean stew, but it didn't taste good with green beans, it's better with corn (or other vegetable of your choice). It has no meat, but it's so good you won't even miss it! I make double and freeze some for those days when you don't have time to cook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coursely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 -3 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (less if chili powder was put in)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 cup other vegetables, to your taste
- Heat up olive oil until hot, add onions, celery, and garlic.
- Cook and stir for about 5 minute or until onion is translucent.
- Add everything else, including beans, bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat, uncovered, 20 minute.