Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From a Gold Medal Flour bag in the early 1970's -- makes 2 crusts -- if your children won't eat onions, do as I did when my daughter was little and blend the tomato sauce and onion in the blender! If Jennifer couldn't see the onion pieces, she ate it! Can be frozen and baked at a later time -- For crispy pepperoni, put it on top of the cheese!
Top Review by breezermom
The first time I made this, I let it get too brown on top....my oven really cooks hot. So I really watched the second time around and it turned out perfectly. I stayed true to the recipe, although I longed to add some olives and mushrooms.....but just perfect the way it is posted. I halved the recipe with no problems. Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag!
- 7.08 g active dry yeast (1 package is approximately 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 236.59 ml warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 591.47 ml flour (stir to remove any lumps)
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated (equals 1/4 cup)
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23-2.46 ml minced garlic
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 113.39 g pepperoni, sliced (equals 1 cup ~ use 70% less fat turkey pepperoni for less fat puddles!)
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese, shredded (equals 2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dough directions:.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (400 degrees if using Pyrex pizza pans).
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in remaining dough ingredients: beat vigorously, about 20 strokes.
- Allow dough to rest about 5 minutes while preparing sauce.
- Mix sauce ingredients; set aside.
- Divide dough in half. On lightly greased baking pans, pat/press each half into 12 inch circles. Use floured finger tips when pressing dough into circles.
- Spread sauce on each circle. Arrange pepperoni on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Or, for crispy pepperoni, put it on top of the mozzarella!
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crust is brown and topping is hot and bubbly. Makes 2 pizzas.
- To freeze and bake later: double wrap and freeze assembled pizza (without baking) on the pizza pan ~ bake frozen pizza at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.