Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have had this recipe forever and do not recall where I got it! It is a nice alternative to your everyday ground beef and pasta dish.
- 2 cups rotini pasta or 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked in usalted water and drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (3 ounce) can Durkee onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 375'. In large skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in hot macaroni, 1/2 can of french fried onions, 1/2 cup cheese, soup, tomatoes, red pepper and seasoned salt. Mix well. Pour into 2-quart casserole dish. Bake covered, at 375' for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered for 3 minutes or until onions are golden brown and cheese is melted.
This was a good, quick weeknight meal. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the durkee onions as I thought I had some but I couldn't find them in the cupboard. I tried the mixture without the tomatoes and enjoyed it. I then added the tomatoes and liked that too. My family said they thought it tasted like tuna casserole with hamburger instead of tuna. Next time I would season the ground beef while it is cooking as we thought the meat was a bit bland. We didn't find this salty at all but we did add a good bit of pepper. Made for ZWT5.
An easy, tasty, weeknight casserole. I followed the directions exactly and served with peas and garlic bread. It was a touch salty, so next time I may leave out the seasoning salt. Made for ZWT4.