Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been trying for a few months now to make a recipe as close to what my mother made. This taste just like it. It's not overly sweet, or fishy tasting. I do not like sea food but I could eat this sandwich everyday.
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained. I use bumble bee brand
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish, cubed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (you can use black, no need to go out and buy white if you have the black)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Miracle Whip
- bread, of your choice
- While the eggs are boiling, mix drained tuna with mayonaise, mustard, lemon juice, relish, salt, pepper and paprika. Fold peeled and smashed eggs into tuna mixture. Place in refridgerator for 30 minutes for flavors to come together. When ready to serve, spread a little of the miracle whip on the bread and toast. Top toasted bread with tuna and serve with lays plain potato chips.
This is a delicious tuna salad. I halved the recipe and don't think it caused any problems. Plus, I didn't have any Miracle Whip, so I made Miracle Whip from Mayonnaise #267595. Thanks Madeline's Mommy for a terrific recipe.
With both mustard & mayo this was different than the standard tuna salad. I liked the addition of the tang of the lemon, but the hightlight for me was the smoked paprika. I thought the smoky note in the background made a pleasant change & I will definitely pair it with tuna again. I served in whole wheat pita pockets loaded with frisee, sliced tomato, and purple onion so skipped the miracle whip on the bread step. Made for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef.
I did think this was a little on the sweet side. It also seemed just a little dry for our tastes, but that could be because the tuna I use (Polar) is drier than BumbleBee. I didn't use the Miracle Whip because I didn't have any. Next time I will increase the amount of paprika and reduce the relish slightly. Thanks for posting! Made for Spring 2010 PAC.