Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Trail mix isn’t a unique idea, but I often have ingredient issues here & got inspired by Ultimate Trail Snack Mix Ultimate Trail Snack Mix by looneytunesfan. Using ingredients I easily found at my local bargain grocery store, I put this together & we plan to give it my DH’s family in an assorted food gift Christmas basket. The packaging is what makes it fun & “candy for the eyes”. I saved clear glass bottles, pretty ones w/tight-fitting caps or corks. A cognac bottle & heart-shaped limoncello bottle from Italy come to mind as I type. I removed the labels, filled them w/the trail mix & put them in our freezer to await the holidays. Some bottles even came in boxes that will be gift-wrapped. I’ll put 1 in ea basket & make gift labels that say “This bottle is refillable. If I get it back, you’ll get it back next Christmas.” … Just 1 more way a family tradition is born.
- 354.88 ml chocolate chips
- 354.88 ml shoestring potatoes (or pretzels)
- 354.88 ml raisins (plain)
- 354.88 ml chocolate-covered raisins
- 354.88 ml cashews
- 354.88 ml peanuts
- 354.88 ml M&M's plain chocolate candy (red, green & bright colors only to keep the X-Mas theme going, Leave brown out)
- 354.88 ml dried banana pieces
- 354.88 ml dried limes (candied, or pineapple)
- 354.88 ml cereal (I use Nestle's Fitness)
- Combine all ingredients. Store in airtight containers in a freezer till ready to use.
- NOTES: I needed an average of 3 cups trail mix for 5 bottled gifts, so I picked 10 items X 1½ cups = 15 cups. For the limes, I sliced thinly, candied them using a recipe Neta here at RZ found for me at another site & then cut them in sml pieces. I wanted to use red cinnamon candies for the red colour & tasty flavour, but I can only get them in the US. I’d never eaten the cereal I used till I came to Iceland, but it’s a crunchy, sweet, cinnamon coated wafer type cereal I like. Any cereal favourite can be used if it’s “sturdy” enough to hold up in the mix (like Chex does). There are really no rules for this except have fun!
- PIC NOTE: Altho not the season now, I posted a pic to show the "prototype".
Let me say tha this was very much appreciated by my employer for who I prepared this for.She really liked the mix of different things, and couldn't stop eating them. So thank you for posting the recipe