Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
These colorful pinwheels are a fast item for an appetizer tray, but they also make a tasty lunch and are very kid friendly. ----This was an entry in RSC #10.
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 6 baby carrots, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 8 ounces cream cheese (low fat is fine)
- 1 (5 ounce) can cooked chicken, well drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 6 flour tortillas
- Finely dice all veggies.
- Stir in grated cheese and salsa.
- Beat in cream cheese.
- Stir in well drained chicken and spices.
- Spread on 6 flour tortillas taking care to spread evenly and to the edges. Roll tightly. Note: The rolls can be prepared ahead by tightly wrapping the individual rolls in plastic wrap at this point.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Slice before serving. Cut each roll into 1 inch slices carefully to preserve the round shape.
This was my first time making pinwheels of any kind. I thought they turned out very well. I used 'garden spinach herb' tortillas which added a beautiful green color to them. I think that the chicken could be left out, I didn't feel like it did much for the recipe, and then it would be vegetarian as well. I took them to a potluck and got many compliments. I definately recommend making them ahead and wrapping and chilling them, it makes them much easier to slice and gives it time for the flavors to blend. Thanks!
Very, very tasty little buggers! I pretty much followed the recipe but omitted the jalapeno, used a mild salsa, & 1 1/2 cups of diced chicken breast I had in the freezer! Also used honey Dijon mustard & a sharp cheddar cheese! Made & in the frig for a group I host tomorrow evening, but I've managed a taste-test, & these will be VERY FAVORABLY received, I know!! Thanks for the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]
I thought these were fantastic! I did soften the cream cheese before I mixed all the ingredients together, I found it just easier to do that. If I'd have thought about it, I would of just dumped it all into my kitchen aide mixer and it would have been real easy! I did omit the jalepeno and used a hot salsa since I wasn't sure how my ds would like it. I also didn't used canned cooked chicken since I had roasted a chicken the other day and I still had a chicken breast over that I diced and used that instead. I will make this again for sure, my kids loved it and said it was fantastic and it's a nice change from sandwich's. Thanks for a wonderful tasting treat!