This is a basic muffin recipe that my mother used to make for us. I believe she got it from one of her old cookbooks, although I'm not sure. It's an easy recipe that is good for beginning bakers. It can be made less sweet to accompany savory meals (mom often served them with chili), or it can be made sweeter and fruit, such as blueberries, or other flavorings added to them. You can also adjust the amount of egg used. I like to make them with both eggs and about 2-4 T sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400* F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a second bowl, mix together egg(s), milk, and melted butter.
- Pour egg mixture over dry ingredients and stir just enough to dampen flour (should be lumpy, not smooth).
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400* F for 15 minutes or until golden (adding fruit may increase time).
- Serve warm.