Recipe by 4Susan
This recipe both tenderizes and seasons the meat considerably. The steak is marinated overnight, uncooked, then quickly broiled. The rare, thinly sliced pieces are then marinated a second time, with olive oil, feta cheese, lemon juice, peppers and onions. Serve the savory slices of steak and vegetables on crusty rolls, with plenty of the feta marinade, or serve them as a salad, atop a bed of mixed greens. Prep time does not include marinating.
Top Review by Bridget C
Can't believe no one has reviewed this - we've used this in the past and always had good results. For a long time we couldn't get the right cut of flank steak in Scotland but now have and tried this again, and it is really great.
- 1 (2 lb) flank steaks, 1-inch thick
- 4 crusty French rolls, sliced in half and toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- italian pepperoncini pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a plastic or glass container large enough to hold the steak, mix together the ingredients for the BROILING MARINADE; Place the steak in the dish and turn to coat both sides; Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once.
- The next day, preheat the broiler until very hot; Place the steak on a broiling pan and broil 3 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until rare to medium-rare; Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients listed for the FETA MARINADE.
- Slice the steak against the grain (on the bias) into thin strips; Place them into the bowl with the FETA MARINADE, mixing to coat; Let sit at room temperature 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stuff the rolls with the marinated meat and vegetables; If desired, garnish with tart, mildly hot Italian pepperoncini peppers.