Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 lb pork butt, in one piece
- 5 large Jyo black mushrooms
- 2 small dried red chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cube bean curd
- 1⁄3 cup mushroom liquid
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- cornstarch paste
- In saucepan, cover pork butt with water, bring to a boil & simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more hot water if level goes below pork.
- Cool pork in its cooking water.
- Wash, then soak mushrooms in warm water for 1 hour.
- Squeeze liquid from mushrooms, reserving liquid.
- Discard mushroom stems, and halve mushrooms.
- Halve, seed & core bell pepper; cut into pieces about 1" by 1 1/2".
- Slice bamboo to match bell pepper.
- Peel carrot; slice on bias into ovals.
- Remove pork from cooking water, & parboil carrots in water for 1 minute.
- Slice 2/3 of pork butt into rectangles same size as bell pepper.
- Save remaining 1/3 for another dish.
- Strain mushroom liquid; combine specified amount with soy sauce, sugar & salt.
- Drain bean curd, rinse in cold water, and slice same size as bell pepper.
- Stir-fry: Add oil to very hot wok.
- When oil begins to smoke, stir-fry mushrooms, garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add bell pepper, bamboo shoots, carrots & pork; stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add bean curd & mushroom liquid; bring to boil.
- On medium heat, cover wok & cook for 1-2 minutes, until bell pepper is bright green & crisp.
- Push ingredients up side of wok.
- Restir thick cornstarch paste, then dribble into liquid until it thickens; cook briefly while stirring.
- Recombine with ingredients.