Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ok, I posted a recipe for the sweet ones, now here is another, but this one uses GREEN plantains which are starchy, and not ripened ones. That is the KEY to this recipe...GREEN!!
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 green plantains, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 farenheit.
- Bring the broth or water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add a little garlic salt and then the peeled plantains.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender, then drain.
- Place the plantains between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to thickness or 1/4" with a meat pounder or rolling pin.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap and brush the tops with half of the oil.
- Invert onto nonstick baking pans and remove the other sheet of plastic.
- Brush the tops with remaining oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning once with tongs, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt& black pepper if desired.
Plantain lovers of the world unite. I love tostones and other dishes featuring the less common green plantain but rarely eat fried foods. This recipe offers a more health minded option while still having great results - the soft starchy interior with a crispy shell. Since I love the toothy bite in this dish, I let mine bake for 20 minutes (10 per side), gave them a generous dose of salt and kicked back for a treat. Thanks!!
This was a nice side dish even if it isn't much aesthetically pleasing being flat, yellow brown and all. lol It had a hint of salty banana taste coz of the chicken broth. But it was good and went well with Recipe #307390. Thanks! Made for WZT4.
This was the first time with plantains and we liked this. I did something wrong cause I could not flatten them but since I had cut them 1/4 inch think I was ok. I guess I need to cook them a bit longer to start with. Lol I am reading the instructions now again and it says to peel them first. That is why It didnt work I didnt peel them. Actually I did try and the skin wasnt movong so I guessed that it needed to be cooked. Thats what happen when you dont print or copy the recipe properly. Will make again.